Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation
Columbia Air Center
 > Home Page > Sites & Museums > Columbia Air Center

Columbia Air Center

columbia air center antique photo 216000 Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772 

301-627-6074; TTY 301-699-2544

The Columbia Air Center Outdoor Exhibit Area interprets the aviation history of an airfield that  long ago disappeared but has not been forgotten. In 1941, aviation history was made when the first African American-owned and operated airfield in the state of Maryland was licensed on the site at the end of Croom Airport Road. John W. Greene Jr., a pioneer in black aviation, was instrumental in developing the airfield, which was originally called Riverside Field. It was occupied by the U.S. Navy during World War II and used for training missions. After the war, Greene reopened the airfield as Columbia Air Center. It offered a flying school, charter services, and facilities for major and minor repairs. The first black Civil Air Patrol squadron in the Washington, D.C. area, called the Columbia Squadron, was formed here. The site is located within M-NCPPC's Patuxent River Park.