Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation
Dorsey Chapel
 > Home Page > Sites & Museums > Dorsey Chapel > History

History

Dorsey Chapel was built in 1900 to serve the black farming community of Brookland, located near the railroad village of Glenn Dale (originally called Glenville). Brookland was centered around a meeting hall, the Good Samaritan Lodge, built circa 1889. Because the nearest places of worship were approximately 2-1/2 miles from Brookland, worship services were held in private homes and in the lodge. Subsequently, the congregation raised money to build a church. In 1895, five local men purchased 1/2 acre of land west of the lodge "for the purpose of establishing a place of worship." The Brookland M. E. Church was completed and dedicated on September 16, 1900. From its earliest days, however, the church was known as Dorsey Chapel after its first pastor, the Reverend A. B. Dorsey.

In its early days, Dorsey Chapel was the social and religious center of the Brookland community; it was in nearly continuous use from the time of its construction until 1971. The adjoining wooded lot on the west was the scene of many camp meetings, picnics, and children's games days, and the lodge lot became the church cemetery. In 1971 due to dwindling memberships, the white congregation of Perkins Chapel in Springfield and the African American congregation of Dorsey Chapel merged to form the Glenn Dale United Methodist Church; the combined congregations now meet in the brick church built in 1965 on land adjoining Perkins Chapel at Good Luck and Springfield Roads.

By 1980 Dorsey Chapel was in deteriorating condition and was slated for demolition by controlled burn. Local citizens formed the Friends of Dorsey Chapel and acquired the chapel from the Glenn Dale United Methodist Church. The chapel, with its 1/2 acre lot, was conveyed to the Friends in 1989; the group, in turn, conveyed it to M-NCPPC in 1992. Since that time, the building has been carefully restored and a small auxiliary building has been constructed to provide facilities for group use. The chapel's original pews and pulpit were returned to the chapel and have been restored. The original railing, which could not be located, has been replaced with one built from balusters and a walnut top rail salvaged from the Newell Post. An upright piano was donated by the Ebenezer United Methodist Church in Lanham. 



The Chapel is interpreted as an historical and cultural landmark in the African American history of Prince George's County.