FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 15, 2020
MEDIA CONTACT: CHANDA WASHINGTON 240-565-2584 – or email@example.com
M-NCPPC, Department of Parks & Recreation in Prince George’s County Launches
Online Resource Center as Cancellations of Public Events Continue
Virtual Recreation to Help Residents Stay Active
Riverdale, MD – The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Department of Parks and Recreation in Prince George’s County announced today that it is canceling all events for May and launching a new Online Resource Center to help patrons stay active while in their homes.
“We continue to explore creative ways to keep everyone engaged during these difficult times. This Online Resource Center will serve as a one-stop-shop for fitness and fun for all ages as we continue to do our part to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community,” says Bill Tyler, Director of the M-NCPPC, Department of Parks and Recreation.
The Online Resource Center, located at pgparks.com/onlineresourcecenter, features a weekly segment titled “Wellness Wednesday” in which fitness instructors share exercise tips -- such as yoga, balancing, and stretching -- that patrons can do in the comfort of their homes. Other resources available on the website include activities for kids and healthy meal prep suggestions.
The Department continues to urge residents and visitors to do their part to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our communities.
- All facilities will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Parks and trails are open for activities such as hiking, biking or walking. Patrons should use extreme caution and maintain at least 6 feet of distance between themselves and others.
- Do not participate in team or contact sports such as basketball, football, kickball, softball, and soccer.
- Use of tennis courts and playgrounds is prohibited.
- Cookouts are not permitted in our parks, until further notice.
- Gatherings of 10 or more people are prohibited in the parks per the order of the Governor.
- Patrons with any questions regarding their Parks Direct accounts can contact the Customer Service Help Desk at CustomerService@pgparks.com or call 301-699-2255, TTY 301-669-2544.
The Department of Parks and Recreation delivers an award-winning park system through progressive, innovative leadership and a commitment to the community and the environment in Prince George’s County. For more on the Department of Parks and Recreation, visit www.pgparks.com and stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, and Instagram. The M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities in all programs and services.